Using your menstrual cup for the first time is a simple process. Outlined here are the steps that you need to take to ensure that your menstrual cup is properly placed/inserted and removed so that you have the utmost comfort and protection.
If this is your first time of purchasing or using a Menstrual Cup, we advice that you practice a few days before your periods starts to ensure you know how to locate your cervix inside you and how to ensure the cervix is over or in the Menstrual Cup to avoid leakage and stains on the first day you use it. Do not be discouraged if it doesn’t go well the first time. Relax and try again. It usually takes at least 2 menstrual cycles to master how to use a menstrual cup.
PUNCH DOWN FOLD C-FOLD
Step 1: Wash your hands thoroughly. It is important that you don’t contaminate the Luv Ur Body Menstrual cup with germs or dirt.
Step 2: Disinfect the Menstrual cup by boiling it in water for 10 minutes or soak in Milton as described below.
Step 3: Locating your cervix-
It is important to make sure that the cervix is in the Luv Ur Body Menstrual cup after insertion. To locate the cervix, insert your forefinger into the vagina. The cervix will feel like the tip of your nose or your thumb and fore finger pressed together with the indent between them.
Step 4: Moisten the Luv Ur Body Menstrual Cup with water if you feel you need more lubrication or use a water based lubricant. Never use an oil based lubricant. Assume a relaxed position by either squatting, sitting or standing.
Step 5: Fold the Luv Ur Body Menstrual Cup as shown in the images above using either the C-Fold or Punch Down Fold. We recommend using the C-Fold for all our cups. Part your labia for easy insertion and insert Menstrual Cup into your vaginal opening aiming horizontally for your tail bone (base of spine) in the direction of your cervix instead of straight up as you would insert a tampon. Continue to push upwards until cup is in a comfortable position and all the way in the vagina.
Step 6: Check to make sure that the Luv Ur Body Menstrual cup is inserted properly. Do this by inserting your forefinger. The Menstrual cup should be rounded and feel similar to a balloon. If it has not popped open, pull the Luv Ur Body Menstrual cup out slightly and slowly turn it around in a 360 degree manner for a slight adjustment. If this doesn’t work, remove and try reinsertion.
If you have properly inserted it, keep it in for upto 12 hours
Please note the following:
- You must successfully locate the cervix or the Luv Ur Body Menstrual menstrual cup will not operate correctly. It will leak if your cervix is not in or directly over the Menstrual cup after insertion.
- Remember, in some women the cervix is located lower during menstruation. And for some women during menstruation, their cervix is located very high up such that their finger cannot even touch it. Every woman’s body is different and unique.
- Sometimes, it may be helpful to trim off the stem at the base of the Luv Ur Body Menstrual cup or turn the Menstrual Cup inside out instead of cutting them stem off if you can feel it after insertion. Please wait until you have successfully inserted and removed the menstrual cup at least once before cutting stem at all.
- The action of pulling the cup down slightly or twisting to suck in air creates the suction that is required for the cup to pop open and function properly. The Cup is held in place by this suction created by the vaginal muscles and the vaginal walls.
Step 1: Wash hands thoroughly.
Step 2: Squeeze the base of the Luv Ur Body Menstrual cup slightly. This will break the suction and seal that was necessary to trap the fluid and hold the Menstrual cup in place inside you. Once the seal is broken by pinching, the Luv Ur Body Menstrual cup can be removed.
Step 3: Grip the base or the stem of the Luv Ur Body Menstrual cup and slowly pull downward.
Step 4: Deposit the contents in the toilet and simply flush away.
Step 5: Rinse the Luv Ur Body Menstrual cup thoroughly with water. Re-insert and re-use if your period is still on.
During your period, please note the following:
- You may add a few drops of feminine hygiene wash for extra sanitation to rinse out the Luv Ur Body Menstrual cup each time you empty it.
- NEVER USE SOAP OR DISENFECTANTS TO WASH YOUR MENSTRUAL CUP WHEN YOU EMPTY IT.
- Alternatively, you may wipe the Luv Ur Body Menstrual cup clean with tissue until water is available.
- Remember; be careful when removing the Luv Ur Body Menstrual cup as you are uncertain of how full it may be.
Care and Storage
You may clean your menstrual cup by any of the following methods:
- Rinsing thoroughly with warm water and/or feminine hygiene wash. Do not use soap or hydrogen peroxide.
- To clear any blocked airholes, fill the cup with water, cover the top with the flat palm of your hand and forcefully squeeze the Luv Ur Body Menstrual cup so that the water is pushed out through the holes.
- To properly sterilize it, submerge the cup in a boiling pot of water for no more than 10 minutes. Avoid melting your Luv Ur Body Menstrual cup by placing the Menstrual cup in the water after it begins to boil. Please note, it is suggested to have a pan, pot or preferably small kettle that is used for Menstrual cup cleaning ONLY. HOWEVER WE DO NOT RECOMMEND BOILING AS A MEANS OF STERILIZING the Luv Ur Body Menstrual Cup. Do this as a last resort. Only boil if you are unable to buy Milton or you are in the rural areas where Milton can’t be found. Or you can’t afford to buy Milton. We recommend you use Milton to sterilize.
- Rinse and soak your Luv Ur Body Menstrual Cup in cold water which a few drops of Milton solution or one tablet has been added. Rinse the Milton solution completely off after sterilizing.
- Store in the free cotton pouch it came with, until the next month’s use.
If you purchased a clear Luv Ur Body Menstrual Cup, over time and with use, it will become discolored slightly because blood hemoglobin is a protein and a very strong dye. To completely remove any stains, soak the cup in Milton possibly overnight.